Death...

… the end of everything? I never thought that I’d be writing about this… I never thought it would completely shake me up… it all started with a call last night from my cousin, he said Kaka (my maternal grandfather) passed away… I dint feel a thing then, I was just concerned about how to break the news to my mom… but she surprisingly took it quite well… my parents left immediately for Goregaon, me and my bro decided to go the next morning…

I went to bed and I kept searching for memories of him… the only thing I could remember was him yelling at us to keep the noise down, not to touch a certain things… he always complained… he was always angry…he was very strict, he gave the same pose in all the pictures… was very very uptight… and yea, he LOVED cricket and movies! Thanks to Neo, he spent his last days watching reruns of all the old matches he missed swearing … I met him just 20 days back at my brother’s engagement, he was very happy and somehow he was different… he was laughing and having fun. He actually spoke to me, hugged me, he knew my name… some thing that had not happened in 26 yrs! That’s how I remembered him… he was a happy man…

I went to Goregaon the next day, I remember that house to be a very happy place… all of us have a lot of fun when we meetup… today, It was sad… in the middle of the room was his lifeless body… he looked calm and at peace. I still dint feel like crying… When they started taking him away everyone started to cry louder… I was crying too… for the man I never really got to know…

I was really pissed at one of the “rituals” that took place amidst all the sadness… my grandma… a frail 85 year old lady was crying hysterically for the man she spent 76 years of her married life with… a group of 5 women walked her to the dead body, and wiped off her Sindoor and broke her bangles n stuff… the entire scene was cruel! It angered me, it hurt me… I wanted to yell at those women and ask them to leave Ajji alone, but someone behind me said… this is how it’s supposed to be… she was miserable already, this made it worse! 76 years of a perfect married life, raising 9 children and their children is not gona go away with this cruel act… It was totally uncalled for…

After a few hours, what came home was a pot full of ashes… he was gone, forever…. When I left from there, I looked at the chair he always used to sit on … it was empty… again a set off women started crying loudly … I could only imagine Kaka say, Hey! Keep the noise down !!! Am sure gona miss his presence…

- May the departed soul rest in peace.

2 comments:

Wabbster said...

I remember when my grandpa died, my grandma didn't remove her mangalsutra or wipe the sindoor of her forehead. People were whispering not so nice things about her because of that and it was pretty awful.

Customs suck, period. The more you dig, the more filth you get.

May the departed soul rest in peace. :)

gayathri vishwanathan said...

I seriously detest these silly customs...can't these people understand that the near and dear one's of the deceased must be going through such immense pain...how can they be so insensitive and in your case how can they do that to your old aaji?? I fail to understand them and dont even want to do that...

may your ajoba's soul rest in peace!!!

 
Copyright 2009 This thing called.... Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree