Plagiarism

I've been working in the writing business for a while now, and one thing my seniors always warned me about was 'Plagiarism'. It is like the next 'P' word after Pregnancy and Pre-marital Sex that I should always stay away from. Not that I need to be told this, coz I was always against plagiarism myself. I always took atmost care to give those deserving the credit for the beautiful quotes I shamelessly copy-pasted on my social networking profile. Be it songs, poems or excerpts from one of very few books I've read, I always name the person who has written it...

Being in the publishing business, I realize the importance of it. I have spent hours writing something, and it is not fair of someone to shamelessly copy-paste it and hog all the credit for it! I got the shock of my life this friday when I saw that my Editor had plagiarized one of the articles I wrote for the magazine on HIS personal blog! I was shocked with disbelief! At some level, it is flattering but on the other hand it is utter shamelessness! You hold a position where you tell your subordinates not to Plagiarize and then you very slyly go ahead and do the same! I remember an incident where a colleague of mine had used a line from wikipedia in one of her articles and the entire thing was blown out of proportion! He used to taunt her at every opportunity he got in any of the editorial meets! How can you be such a hypocrite?

I really don't know how to react to this, I dont know if I should confront him about this or not. A friend of mine left a comment of the blog, thats when he added my name to it with a comment to dismiss the claims. I had a lot of respect for him before this, now I look at him as a very sly person (I don't wana use any abuses yet). I have lost faith in him and the position he holds. Find the plagiarized article Here

I always took care not to plagiarize in any way, now I feel like a victim of plagiarism!


Lesson learned: Trust no one, not even your BOSS!

3 comments:

Wabbster said...

Kick his ass!!! Kick his ass!!! Kick his ass!!!

gayathri vishwanathan said...

Universal truth: all editors and bosses are hypocrites, PERIOD.

Anonymous said...

hi Mona

I can understand how depressing it feels when u someone esp. ur friends and colle. pass ur work as their own or copy ur ideas u share with them...:(

AS

 
Copyright 2009 This thing called.... Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemesfree